I have a MAJOR sweet tooth. I have denied it for a couple of days now and I just couldn’t take it anymore so today I had to bake some cookies.
I am still working on building up my collection of recipes and I had my mom’s sugar cookie recipe that I used for Christmas cookies but that requires the dough to chill overnight and I didn’t really want to spend that kind of time. Instead, I took to Pinterest and found a recipe that I modified a bit.
This was a very easy recipe and it yielded super soft and chewy cookies.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large bowl with a hand mixer (or standing mixer if you have one – I’m not that lucky yet!) cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
3. Add in the egg, vanilla extract and beat until combined. I used a whisk for this.
4. Add in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined (I used a spatula), making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Roll dough into approximately 1″ balls – they will spread out in the oven.
6. Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until cookies have set.
Bonus, while I was baking I had a bunch of things fall out of my cabinet on to me. I know this doesn’t exactly sound like a good thing but this frustrated me enough that I emptied the entire cabinet in a fit of rage and cleaned through the contents. Now if I could just have the energy to do that with the rest of my messy messy house…
A satisfied sweet tooth and a clean cabinet. That, ladies and gentleman, is a productive afternoon!